Pages

13.2.12

Installing Marlin on Ubuntu 11.10

As I got tired of Nautilus lack of certain common features (specially the hability to change from icon view to list view in one click), I decided to install a new explorer on my Ubuntu. The logical option was Marlin, the upgraded version of what was previously called "Elementary Nautilus".

Here are the steps to install it, as I found them here

Type from terminal:


sudo add-apt-repository ppa:elementary-os/daily
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:marlin-devs/marlin-daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install marlin


After that, if you are using the gnome-fallback shell (as I am) you can go to the top panel and:
ALT+RIGHT CLICK
Add to Panel...
Custom Application Launcher
Name: Marlin - Command: marlin
And the default Marlin icon will appear.

Click OK and now you can launch Marlin from your top panel.


It worked right away for me and it's MUCH better than the default Nautilus.

No comments:

Post a Comment